Here’s my take on the German Christmas Cardamom Cookies!
¾ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 cups unbleached all-purpose floor
¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
¾ teaspoon double acting baking powder
1 pinch salt
4 ounces chocolate coating
- Beat together the butter, sugars and water.
- Sift flour with cardamom, baking powder, and salt and mix it into the creamed butter to make a stiff dough.
- Form this dough into two or three rolls that are 1 inch in diameter.
- Wrap the rolls in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight (or at least for 2 hours).
- Heat oven to 390° F.
- Remove roll of dough from the refrigerator and place it on a cutting board. Slice the dough ¼ inch thick and place the cookies on a cookie sheet.
- Use a fork to create a crosshatch pattern on the cookies, flattening them somewhat.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies to rack to cool.
- Melt chocolate and dip cookies halfway in melted chocolate, place on rack, and allow to harden.