1 large onion, finely chopped
3 chillies (or Serrano peppers), finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
5 small (or 3 large) potatoes, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon carom seeds (Ajwain)
Salt, to taste
1 cup unbleached all-purpose floor
1 large bag, plain Doritos, chips or Panko crumbs
Oil, to deep fry
- Put flour in a shallow bowl, set aside.
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish, set aside.
- Crush chips (or breadcrumbs) in a shallow dish, set aside.
- Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes in salted water until the potato pieces are fork tender. Then drain them.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Mush up potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes until they are room temperature or slightly warmer.
- Stir in onions, chillies, cilantro, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and carom seeds; season with salt, to taste. Mix well.
- When the mixture is workable, form the mixture into balls (or any shape you want).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Dredge each tot, first in flour, then in egg, then in crumbs, evenly coating with each.
- Add tots to the skillet, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve hot with your favourite dip (or ketchup)